Please download these tools and use them in your community. If you would like to add your logo or adapt them in other ways, please contact us at email@example.com.
Tips for Good Attendance
You can find tips sheets in several languages for parents of children in preschool, elementary and secondary school on the Parent Handouts page.
Tips for Good Attendance with Policy Advice
We have also created the Parent Handout as a two-page version with policy tips on the back page. Here they are:
- Download middle/high school flyer (2 page with policy tips)
- Download middle/high school flyer in Spanish (2 page with policy tips)
- Download elementary school handout (with policy tips)
- Download elementary school handout in Spanish (with policy tips)
Student Attendance Success Plan
The work sheet found on the Student Attendance Success Plan page. are reprinted with the permission of the Children’s Institute of Portland, Oregon, and the staff of Earl Boyles Elementary School, David Douglas School District, Portland, Oregon. Together, the Children’s Institute and Earl Boyles Elementary School have launched the Early Works initiative. In addition, the Family Help Bank is used with the permission of the DeVos Family Foundation in Michigan
See our Bringing Attendance Home Toolkit
America’s Promise Alliance and the Annie E. Casey Foundation developed these materials to encourage parent engagement in improving school attendance at all grade levels.
- Parent Engagement Toolkit
- Handout on Student Transitions
- Handout on Attendance
- Handout on Attendance: Spanish version
Military families and their children face different attendance policies when they move, often in the middle of the school year. These resources can help manage those transitions:
- Military-Connected Students and Public School Attendance Policies-2010
- Military Interstate Children’s Compact Commission Website
The Consortium of Chicago School Research created these handouts for parents and students going into ninth grade.
- What Matters-Parents
- What Matters-Parents-Spanish version
- What Matters-Students
- What Matters-Teachers
The Children’s Initiative in San Diego developed these handouts for parents of kindergartners.
The Multnomah County, Ore., Linkage Project developed this handout for parents in several languages: Kindergarten Attendance Leads to School Success
- Parent Flyer (English)
- Parent Flyer (Spanish)
- Parent Flyer (Russian)
- Parent Flyer (Vietnamese)
- Parent Flyer (Chinese)
The Children’s Hospital in Aurora, Col., created this handout to help parents determine when to keep kids home from school
This video and related materials from the California School Environmental Health and Asthma Collaborative provide important information about the most common asthma triggers in the home and provides information on how to reduce or eliminate them.
PLEDGE CARDS: Use these pledge cards for parents with children in the early grades.
These materials are from our September 2010 webinar on engaging parents in reducing chronic absence and improving attendance.
- Engaging Parents in Reducing Chronic Absence and Improving Attendance (Video)
- Engaging Parents in Reducing Chronic Absence and Improving Attendance (PDF)
- Summary of Research on Effects of Programs that Involve Families to Improve Student Attendance (PDF)
- SCHOOL ATTENDANCE: DATA TO ACTION Parent Focus Group Protocol (Word doc)
- Keys To A Great School Year (Word doc)