Businesses and Chambers of Commerce recognize that students who built good attendance habits in school grow up to be employees who show up for work regularly. This Making the Case handout lays out why business leaders should care about attendance and how they can partner with schools and communities to reduce chronic absence.
Business leaders can reinforce need for action during Attendance Awareness Month and beyond through a variety of strategies including:
1. Talk to your employees about the value of good school attendance; put up a poster in your store or restaurant encouraging good attendance
2. Contribute gift certificates or other gifts as incentives for good attendance or prizes for contests
3. Support the development or participate in an existing coalition that is taking a community-wide approach to reducing chronic absence.
4. Provide school district with technical help in crunching chronic absence data
5. Volunteer or encourage your employees to volunteer as mentors for chronically absent students
If you have suggestions or improvements to the list, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org