The Superintendents Call to Action
The Campaign for Grade-Level Reading and Attendance Works are calling upon Superintendents across the country to raise your voices and lead the effort to improving attendance starting in the early grades in your community. While schools alone can’t do all it takes to improve student attendance, every successful initiative ultimately relies on educators deciding to make the reduction of chronic absence a priority.
We urge you to:
- Prioritize Attendance: Make clear that improved student attendance is one of your top priorities. Ask your teachers and school leaders to make it one of theirs as well. Designate a senior member of your staff to oversee implementation.
- Mobilize the Community: Reach out to make improved student attendance a broadly owned and widely shared civic priority. Engage parents, civic and elected leaders, local businesses, clergy members and the libraries, museums and service providers.
- Drive with Data: Use data to raise public awareness, establish targets and goals, track progress and assure accountability.
The Call to Action
- Click here to read the Call to Action
- Click here to read our letter to superintendents.
- Click here to see who else has signed up.
Tips for Taking Action
- Join us for Attendance Awareness Month in September!
- Download the “Count Us In” toolkit for tips on how to launch Attendance Awareness Month in your community
- Download Tips for Getting Started
- Download Tips For Developing a Community Action Plan
- View Attendance Works: A Community Imperative video
- View Bringing Attendance Home video
If you’ve signed the Call to Action, consider using or adapting these media tools to help spread the word about your district’s involvement in Make Every Day Count, build awareness about reducing chronic absence and invite key stakeholders to join local efforts to improve school attendance, starting in the early grades.
- Template press release
- Template commentary piece
- Talking Points for Superintendents
- Make Every Day Count: Sending the Right Message About Attendance to Parents and Students
Positive Outliers Toolkit
Do you have a school in your district that is beating the odds, recording higher attendance rates than schools with similar student populations? If so, do you know why? Chronic absence data not only can reveal the scope of attendance problems but also pinpoint the schools with the practices and leadership that are making a difference. This toolkit will help you look beyond the numbers and find out how these positive outliers are bringing more kids to school every day.