As teachers, you are the first line of defense against chronic absence. You can:
- Take roll regularly showing students that you care when they miss school.
- Reach out to frequently absent students to find out in a supportive manner why they are missing school and what would help them attend more regularly.
- Work with parents to stress the importance of early education and to learn about any barriers to good attendance.
- Create a nurturing, engaging classroom that will encourage children to come to school.
- Work with colleagues to develop and implement a school-wide system of incentives and reward for good attendance.